Planting Instructions for Trees & Shrubs
- Planting Hole: Dig a hole 1½-2x as wide and the same depth as the root ball so that roots can spread naturally.
- Base: Remove 1/3 of the soil and replace it with compost or planting mix. Mix in bone meal or bio tone into amended soil.
- Remove Container: Hold the container on its side and gently pull at the base of the plant, removing the root ball from the container.
- Score Roots: Make shallow cuts (1/2″ to 1″ deep) down the outer layer of the root ball. Approximately three to five evenly spaced vertical cuts around the root ball. Then slightly loosen the roots around each cut. Place the plant into the center of the prepared hole. The top of the root ball should be slightly higher than the surrounding finished grade of soil.
- Backfill: Fill the hole with its original soil along with amended soil. Be sure to tamp backfilled soil in firmly.
- Water: Thoroughly water to eliminate air pockets and settling and to soak the root ball and the surrounding soil.
- Mulch: Apply 2″ to 3″ of mulch such as shredded bark to the soil surface to retain moisture and suppress weed growth.
- Water: With a slow cold trickle 1-2 times a week for the first few weeks. And only then as needed throughout the season.
- Protect Plants: As needed from wind and cold with burlap or shrub protectors.
- Fertilize: 2 times a year- spring and fall
** NEW AS OF JUNE 1, 2022
GUARANTEES, REFUNDS, AND REPLACEMENTS
There are NO store credits or replacements issued without a receipt.
All holiday sales, sale and clearance items are final.
**OUR ONE SEASON (same season purchased) PLANT GUARANTEE**
Store credit or plant exchange is only given with plant materials that are being returned in the same condition as purchased within one week of purchase with the receipt. Our plant guarantee will replace the dead plant with an equal size and variety of the dead plant, or substitution for an equal or lesser priced plant. No cash is refunded at anytime.
If the replacement plant is greater in cost, the difference will be paid by the customer.
Our one season guarantee covers trees and shrubs only when proper care was given. Plants that die due to adverse animal or weather conditions are not guaranteed. Plants that don’t overwinter are not guaranteed.
Annuals, perennials, roses, butterfly and fruit bushes are NOT covered. As part of our policy we ask that pictures of dead shrubs be brought in or emailed along with the receipt. This allows us to help diagnose the cause of death and prevent your replacement from dying as well.
Replacement plants are NOT guaranteed.
If replacement plants are installed by Kulak’s, a new delivery & installation labor fee will be charged.
If you notice problems with your plants, please make us aware as we will try our best to help resolve the issue and make your plants as healthy as possible before it’s too late.